The Online Dump

Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Glass Menagerie


In my English class we studied, "The Glass Menagerie". I absolutely adored this play, not because of the overbearing mother who won't get off her son's back, (clearly, because that's something I can relate to), but because the main character, (TOM) reminds me so much of how trapped I feel right now, it's uncanny.



Right, so this guy, Tom, his father bailed on him, his mother and his sister when they were younger. Now he's the only money-maker in the house, but he's pretty young and he has the fucking DESIRE in his bones to get the fuck out of that stupid house and go experience the world he's living in. Of course, he can't because he needs to take care of his mother and sister. He loves his sister, but all his mother does is harp at him all day long.

At night, he goes out to the movies, gets drunk (at least sometimes), and sleeps for a bit before waking up to work a shitty job at a factory. He hates his job, he hates his life pretty much. And his mother does not make it bearable.

In the end, he leaves. Just doesn't pay the electrical bill, and leaves his mom and his sister in the dark.

I really liked the play. I loved Tom, not just because his mother was a really whiny bitch and they kept fighting over stupid stupid things. But also because the guy just wanted to get out. And instead he's stuck somewhere he hates, doing things he hates, and he's completely deprived of everything he wants to see and everywhere he wants to go.

BUT! the whole point of this entry, is that I wanted to comment on this one comment Tom makes in the play, where he starts talking about his new found hatred for movies. Maybe not hatred, BUT YOU GET MY GIST.

He says something like, "I'm tired of the movies. Look at them! All of those glamorous people - having adventures -hogging it all, gobbling the whole thing up! You know what happens? People go to the movies instead of moving! Hollywood characters are supposed to have all the adventures for everybody in America, while everyone in America sits in a dark room and watches them have them! Yes, until there's a war. That's when adventure becomes available to the masses! Everyone's dish, not only Gable's! Then the people in the dark room come out of the dark room to have some adventure themselves - Goody, goody!- It's our turn now, to go to the South Sea Islands - to make a safari - to be exotic, far-off! - But I'm not patient. I don't want to wait till then. I'm tired of the movies and I am about to move!"

I realized I really agree with that. I mean I've completely placated myself with the sheer abundance of media I ingest
daily, and I feel like it's a problem. I decided! I was going to stop watching movies and see where that got me, but that would just become more of a hassle than it was worth. So I talked to LOLIPOPER, who said SOMETHING really wise, I think, and she said! "It's only escapism if you treat it as an escape." Which makes a ton of sense. I mean, you spend half your time surrounded by media. But we're not constantly trying to escape. Not in the, "I need to get out of my life." Sense anyway.

But I guess it's hard to differentiate between what is escape and what is enjoyment. And I think all the media I've pumped myself with has just corroded any sense of moving! I have and maybe even, on another level, has suffocated my creativity. I mean, I'm watching someone else's work, so why should I have to write my own?

AND SO! I am working on less escapism, more escape. <3!>

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

I use all the media I ingest as a form of inspiration, not escapism. Anything I read/watch/listen to has an impact on whatever it is I'm creating, so instead of just sitting there letting it wash over me, I take it and process it, think about it, and learn from it.

In short, I agree with what this LOLIPOPER had to say about escapism, and I hope to see some more creative stuff from you!!! <3!!!

Oh and The Glass Menagerie sounds pretty interesting. I'm glad you liked it.

April 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Salima said...

you make me proud

April 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home